- The 2013 ACSED Training Symposium: “California on the Move! Effective Policies and Best Practices in Hiring and Promoting Employees with Disabilities” was a great success! Over 120 attendees participated at our third ACSED Symposium. We had over 15 state departments co-sponsoring the event. Our keynote speaker, Sarah Triano delivered a lively and motivating speech to eager participants. The job fair was well attended by many job-seekers enthusiastic to gain knowledge about the state hiring process. The various workshops provided the latest policy developments and best practices in disability employment as well as the opportunity for networking with all participants. Everyone seemed pleased and excited to be part of another enjoyable ACSED event.
- SPB LEAP Workgroup: Continued meeting with State Personnel Board workgroup to review and update parts of the Merit System, including LEAP program.
- Website: Posted several new items to ACSEDonline.org.
- ECOS System: Attended presentation by Gina Forman of CalHR on new ECOS state employment computer system, which will make it much easier for State hiring managers to use the LEAP list.
- How to obtain a Governor’s appointment: Attended a seminar on this subject sponsored by the Equal Opportunity Coalition (of which ACSED is a member) and was presented by the Governor’s staff.
- Holiday Dinner Celebration: ACEDS's annual celebration was raving success. Many thanks to Chelle for chairing this year’s Gala.
- Civil Rights Coalition: ACSED's Board member represented ACSED at weekly meetings.
- Government Operations Agency and Caballero of the Consumer Protection Agency meeting: ACSED's Board member represented ACSED at this meeting.
ACSED QUICKNEWS #51, September, 2013
1. Officer Elections - The newly-elected officers are: Jake Johnson President, Robert Sifuentes Vice-President, Janet Fricke Recording Secretary, Lisa Brown Corresponding Secretary, Carolyn Bonkowski Treasurer, Les Treece-Sinclair Immediate Past President, Board Members at Large Laurie Hoirup and Michelle Ellenberger. Pat McPartland will continue as Legislative Consultant and representative on the Civil Rights Coalition.
2. ACSED Symposium and Job Fair - Was held on Tuesday, September 24, 2013. The day’s event includes workshops and a presentation by ACSED member, Eric Nelson - “How to Get A State Job”. Please reference the attachments for parking information and restaurants close to CalEPA facility.
3. ACES Awards: The awards ceremony will be on Dec 3 as part of the International Disability Day event sponsored by SDAC. This will be the ACES awards as well as the Ralph Black award and DAC of the year award.
4. Civil Rights Coalition – The coalition is trying to set up a meeting with Gina Forman at CALHR on the new ECOS system for State jobs. It was agreed that ACSED wants to be involved in this meeting. The coalition has a couple of upcoming events that ACSED may want to participate in.
5. Multiple ACSED Board members will attend the Governor’s Appointment Workshop meeting on September 18. At the time, Board members will decide to join the workgroup. An update will be provided in the 2014 Quicknews.
6. Progress continues with the State Personnel Board workgroup to update parts of the Merit System, including the LEAP program.
7. AB1062, CalHR omnibus bill. CalHR has agreed to amendments to this bill to address all of ACSED’s concerns, and amendments have been made.
The next ACED Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, September 12, 2013, from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m.
Teleconference information - Dial: (888) 232-3870
SAVE THE DATE: The ACSED symposium will be Sept 24, 2013. Click here for more information.
- Jake Johnson performed the first
Navigation and Orientation for blind and low vision delegates to the California
Youth Leadership Forum, on July 21 and 22.
- The election of ACSED officers is in progress. New officers will be announced during the week of July 28.
- ACSED and APSEA jointly submitted input for the Executive Order currently in development by CalHR.
- The California Model Employer Initiative Workgroup submitted its recommendations to CalHR on June 30. We intend to hold a meeting soon to discuss the recommendations with stakeholders and determine our next steps.
- Progress continues with the State Personnel Board workgroup to update parts of the Merit System, including the LEAP program.
- AB1062, CalHR omnibus bill. CalHR has agreed to amendments to this bill to address all of ACSED’s concerns, and amendments have been made.
- PERS Long term care: Pat met with the principal researcher on AB1643 PERS Long term care report on June 20. The research is completed and final report should be ready soon.
- Spread the word, ACSED’s Website provides valuable information and includes upcoming events, such as Save the Date for 2013 ACSED Symposium as well as the most up-to-date Quicknews. ACSED’s Web-address is ACSEDonline.org
- Several ACSED Board members attended mentor luncheon of Youth Leadership Forum
- The ACSED 2013 Training Symposium is less than two months away. We have received many sponsorships and have surpassed our revenue goal! We are putting final amendments to our Symposium program booklet. We look forward to seeing you all at the Symposium.
Note Worthy Perception: Observations on Accessibility from Italy and Portugal:
We (Ralph and Catherine) have been in Portugal and Italy on an extended vacation. We thought you might want to know some of our observations about accessibility.
Things improve each time we come to Europe but physical access remains behind the US, especially California. In Portugal, we utilized a tour company, Accessible Portugal, which made all our travel arrangements and provided a wheelchair accessible van for transport. They were great and they do a lot of advance work with hotels, restaurants, and museums checking access and advocating for changes when needed.
We were able to find hotel rooms with roll-in showers although some were small. I brought my own bath bench and did need it a couple times. Elevators are usually very small and since my wheelchair is small, it fit alright, sometimes with little or no room for other people or luggage! Most elevators did have braille signage. Busses in Lisbon and Turin had ramps although we did not try to take them. There are many level curbs and some curb cuts but suddenly one may find a corner with no cut at all!! Most museums had ramps/elevators and a few had some tactile items for Ralph. Some had audio guides in English, which are a very helpful feature, while others did not. We did find a few areas where the countries were more advanced than the US. For example, medicines come with braille signage on all packages and money (both coins and bills) are different sizes.
The next ACSED Board Meeting will be held on August 8, 2013, from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m.
- SAVE THE DATE: The ACSED symposium will be Sept 24, 2013.
- The next ACSED Board Meeting will be Thurs Aug 8 from noon to 1pm. Teleconference information is 888-232-3870, code 716255
- We have election nominations for ACSED officers. Ballots have been sent out and the new officers will be announced soon.
- The CMEI Workgroup, which ACSED leads, submitted its prioritized recommendations to CalHR on June 29.
- Jake will be presenting a navigation orientation training of CSU Sacramento Desmond Hall for DOR's Youth Leadership Forum blind and low vision participants and staff July 21 and 22.
- CalHR EEO Conference: The June 13, 2013 conference was a success. The conference included several workshops on disability issues. Jake, Pat and Robert participated as workshop Moderators. ACSED was a co-sponsor of the conference. With this commitment, ACSED members were actively involved with the steering committee for this conference, in part; ACSED members participated with CalHR staff and the Civil Rights Coalition members met weekly for six-months prior to the conference.
- SPB/LEAP Workgroup: Continued meeting with the State Personnel Board (SPB) workgroup to review and update parts of the Merit System that included the LEAP program. The workgroup encouraged SPB staff to connect with the CMEI workgroup to coordinate LEAP recommendations.
- AB1062: ACSED members met with CalHR Legislative staff on June 19 to discuss ACSED’s concerns in this bill. The highlight of the meeting resulted in agreement to some amendments to be made in the Senate policy committee.
- PERS Long Term Care: ACSED member met with Frank Neuhauser, principal researcher on AB1643 PERS Long Term Care Report on June 20. The research is completed and the final report should be ready soon. A synopsis of the final report will be included in a forthcoming Quicknews.
- Website: Please view recent additions to our ACSED Website. Additional upload on the Website will be available in the near future; the Website is a work in progress.
- The ACSED 2013 Training Symposium: The planning committee is very busy preparing for the big event, which is only 3 ½ months away. We are happy to report that we have raised close to our revenue goal. The job fair committee is now recruiting several departments who might be interested in purchasing a job fair table. The program agenda has been finalized and speakers are being contacted. We look forward to a well-attended Symposium and job fair.